Hungate hosts learning events alongside each exhibition. These can be public talks, workshops for teachers and families, concerts, performances and one-off events. Most Hungate events are free, although we sometimes have to charge for workshops to cover the cost of tutors and materials.
Paston Footprints – Last Tuesday Talks. Doors open at 6:00pm for Tea & Coffee, talk starts at 6:30pm. FREE
June 26th Elizabeth McDonald: Sir John Paston’s guide to being a knight: John Paston II and his ‘Grete Boke’
July 31st Dr Rob Knee: The Wars of the Roses and the Paston Letters
August 28th Dr Nicholas Groves: A neat building of black flint St Peter Hungate, the Pastons, and the churches of Norwich.
September 25th Dr Jean Agnew: The later Pastons the 1st and 2nd Earls of Yarmouth
October 30th Dr Victor Morgan: A Cabinet of Wonders and the Seventeenth-century Paston Collection
Other events and activities are scheduled throughout the exhibition – see poster for more details
We have created a series of self-guided medieval art trails, to support our major exhibitions.
Each trail consists of about a days worth of exploration of parish churches in the county, including detailed information about access, opening hours, key holders etc. They are designed to be usable by walkers, cyclists or drivers – although individual trails vary in distance.
Download the trails here (pdf):
Hungate Rood Screen Trails
- Trail 1 – Bramfield, Wenhaston & Southwold
- Trail 2 – Beeston-next-Mileham, Litcham Wellingham & Castle Acre
- Trail 3 – Salle, Cawston, Aylsham, Marsham & Horsham St Faith
- Trail 4 – Houghton St Giles, Binham, Morston, Salthouse, Upper Sheringham & Beeston Regis
- Trail 5 – Filby, South Burlingham, Upton & Ranworth
- Trail 6 – Irstead, Barton Turf, Catfield & Ludham
- Trail 7 – Hempstead, Stalham, Smallburgh, Tunstead, Worstead & East Ruston
- Trail 8 – Eye, Yaxley, Westhorpe & Wyverstone
- Trail 9 – Tivetshall St Margaret, Carleton Rode, Tacolneston, Fritton & Loddon
- Trail 10 – Gooderstone, Foulden, Thompson & Attleborough
- Trail 11 – Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin & Walpole St Peter
- Trail 12 – Burnham Norton, Thornham & Old Hunstanton
- Trail 13 – Sparham, Foxley, North Elmham & Gateley
- Trail 14 – Weston Longville, North Tuddenham & Mattishall
- Trail 15 – Suffield, North Walsham, Swafield, Edingthorpe, Trunch & Trimingham
Hungate Stained Glass Trails
- Trail 1 – Stody, Bale, Field Dalling, Cley
- Trail 2 – East Barsham, Great Walsingham, Wighton, Warham, South Creake
- Trail 3 – Banningham, Colby, Erpingham, Sustead
- Trail 4 – North Tuddenham, Elsing, Weston Longville, Ringland
- Trail 5 – Ketteringham, Mulbarton, Saxlingham Nethergate, Shelton
- Trail 6 – Kimberley, Hingham, Ashill, Great Cressingham
- Trail 7 – Mileham, South Acre, Harpley, West Rudham
- Trail 8 – East Harling, Attleborough
- Trail 9 – Outwell, Downham Market, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin
- Trail 10 – Stratton Strawless, Cawston, Salle
There is also a new trail around Hungate’s own parish – written by us but produced by Norwich Historic Churches Trust as part of the Flintpiration festival, which can be downloaded here.
Other Learning Opportunities
Hungate welcomes educational group visits, either to one of our exhibitions or to explore the Church and it’s surroundings. These can be arranged on days when we are not normally open, including out of season.
For non-school groups there will be a small charge to cover our costs.
For Key Stages 2 & 3 we are delighted to be able to offer a number of free lesson plans, created with the generous support of the Norwich Town Close Estate Charity. These are designed for teacher led delivery, either at the centre or in the classroom. For a small fee these can also be delivered by our staff, as part of a pre-booked visit.
- The Art of Maths. KS2 Maths, Science, Art and Design, History
- Medieval Materials. KS2 History, Science
- Elm Hill: A Tudor Street. KS2 History, Speaking and Listening, Art and Design
- The Paston Family. KS3 History, Medieval Realms, Historical Investigation
For more information, or to request a pack, please contact us at HungateGlass@aol.com